Licensing requirements for security services and equipment

30 July 2018

Agencies advised to check licensing compliance when evaluating security providers.

The Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate (SLED) of the NSW Police Force reminds agencies to make sure all security providers have the right licences. Information about security licensing and related FAQs are available on the NSW Police website.

Agencies should:

  • Always refer to licensing requirements when evaluating requests for quote or tender. This includes subcontracted work.
  • Remember that persons carrying out security activities are not entitled to charge a fee unless they are, or were, authorised by a licence to carry on the activity.
  • Check security licences on the public register of security licences.

SLED is also contacting contractors on whole-of-government construction schemes to advise them of security licensing requirements in NSW. All companies and individuals carrying out sale, installation, maintenance, repair and the provision of advice on security equipment need valid security licences.

Legal requirements you need to know

  • It is an offence to carry out unauthorised security activities. Penalties apply under the Security Industry Act 1997.
  • In NSW, any individual who carries out a security activity in relation to security equipment is required by the Act to hold a Class 2A, Class 2B or Class 2C licence (subject to limited exemptions set out in Schedule 1 of the Regulation).
  • The activities authorised by each of these classes are set out in section 12 of the Act. They include a range of guarding and security equipment related activities and are defined in section 4 of the Act. Security equipment is defined in section 3 of the Act.
  • The individual or corporation that provides the Class 1 or Class 2 licence holders to carry out security activities (as employees, sub-contractors or otherwise) must hold a Master Licence.
  • The different classes of Master Licence are set out in section 10 of the Act.

For more information, contact the NSW Procurement Service Centre on or 1800 679 289.

Issuing entity:
Public Works Advisory Construction